Frequently asked questions by test users
Everything you need to know about becoming a successful test user.
Questions concerning participation requirements
What are the requirements to become a paid tester?
You do not need any specific education or work experience to become a tester. Two things are very important, however:
- The first is honesty. We expect you to answer our questions truthfully and to share your opinion openly during testing.
- The second is reliability. We expect you to show up on time once you have agreed to take part in a study. Should you be unable to attend, we ask you to let us know in advance and cancel as soon as possible.
Why are reliability and honesty so important?
Unannounced absences and/or state false information can cause great damage. Companies make important decisions based on your product feedback.
Observers will often travel from afar to attend your test in person. If you don’t show up for your test or have stated false information as part of your questionnaire and your profile isn’t actually a match for the test, then the test either falls through or results in unusable feedback. This means that we, the company testing, and you will have wasted our time. In cases like that, we reserve the right to refuse payment as well as participation in future tests.
Questions regarding earnings
Why should I register as a test user?
There are several reasons why people like to register with us as test users. Here are the top 7:
- You get to test new products and services before they are released onto the market.
- You can directly influence the development of products with your feedback.
- There is a broad range of products and services that you can test: You can offer feedback on websites and apps, express your opinion about new product ideas and test video games and physical products (e.g., snacks, gadgets).
- Your feedback is valuable, which is why we pay you for it. You will have your pay transferred to your account in cash within 10 working days of completing the test.
- Test wherever and whenever you want to: from home or at the customer’s premises.
- You get to test the products of well-known brands from across different industries: From Zalando to UBS and IKEA.
- Last but not least: We guarantee 100% confidential handling of your data.
What can I earn?
You will be able to earn some money with every test, but it will not be enough to make a living. This is largely due to the fact that you will be invited to tests on an irregular basis. How much exactly you will earn will depend on the type and length of each particular study, as well as on whether you will be able to participate in it from home or have to attend in person:
- You can earn the most by participating in studies in person.
- You earn a little less for user tests/interviews that you can take part in from home via video call.
- You earn a little less than that when taking part in online surveys.
When and how do I get paid for successfully taking part in a test?
Once you have successfully completed your first test, you will be asked to provide your preferred payment method (bank account, PayPal). From then on, the money will always be transferred to your account of choice within 10 business days after a test. You will receive an email/text message with a confirmation once the payment has been triggered with us and the money is on its way to you.
Questions concerning tests
How can I participate in a test?
Becoming a test user is easy:
- First, you must register as a test user.
- Depending on your location and how many studies are currently available, you can expect to receive 1–2 emails from us per week on average.
- These emails will either introduce one or several studies. You will have to answer a short questionnaire so that we can make sure that your profile matches the test.
- If you match the required profile, are available and we select you as a suitable candidate, we will send you another email with an invitation.
- You can accept the invitation with just a click — and start looking forward to your first test!
How often can I participate in tests?
We want to be honest with you: It may take a while until you get to take part in your first study. Please be patient with us! How often you will participate in tests will depend on several factors.
- The most important factor is your geographic location. If you are located in one of our core markets, where we have the most clients and therefore the most studies going on, then you will be receiving more test invitations. Our core countries are Switzerland, Germany, France, Austria, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.
- Once you receive a study invitation in your inbox, you will have to have to answer a few questions to make sure that your profile is a right fit for that specific test. The more questions you answer over time, the better we will know your profile. This will help us send you invitations to tests in the future that are more relevant to your profile. It will also increase your chances of getting accepted to take part in studies.
- After all, it is important for us to know that we are able to rely on you. If you show up to your studies on time and answer our questions honestly, we will be more likely to invite you to more studies in the future.
However, study invitations will always be sent out on an irregular basis and it will never be a full source of income.
What exactly can I expect to happen during a test?
A moderator will usually guide through the test step by step. You will be shown a product or service that you can then try out. In order to be able to relate to your experience, the moderator will ask you to think out loud throughout the test. Try to answer as openly and spontaneously as possible. The goal is for the moderator to be able to relate to your thought processes so that he or she can learn how to improve the product. There are no wrong answers, provided that you are openly and honestly expressing your opinion.
What you get to test will vary each time: You may be asked to try out websites and apps, give your opinion on product ideas or test physical products (e.g., snacks).
How long do tests last and where are they held?
Most studies range from 30 to 90 minutes. Some studies you can participate in from home (e.g., online surveys, phone or video calls), some are held at the customer’s premises.
Will the tests be recorded?
Some tests will be recorded for the purpose of better evaluation. The recordings will be treated confidentially and will not be published anywhere without your consent.
Which companies can I test for?
TestingTime customers include companies from across many different industries: e.g., retail trade, banking and insurance or the travel industry. This includes reputable brands such as Zalando, ifolor, IKEA, UBS and SBB, as well as small businesses.
What happens if I have to cancel?
Once you have accepted your invitation, our customers and partners count on you. They will have organised the study and booked an appointment or even a location. Please only cancel if you have a valid reason.
In such a case, please contact us as soon as possible via the link in your email or here. If you don’t withdraw or don’t withdraw on time, we reserve the right to refuse to let you participate in future studies.
Questions concerning video conferencing tools
How to take part in tests via Skype
Some user tests are conducted via Skype. Skype is easy to use and free. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use Skype.
How to take part in tests using Lookback
Lookback is a free online tool for moderated user tests and works via the Participate app. Here you can find a step-by-step guide on how to use Lookback.
How to take part in tests via Whereby
Whereby is a free platform for video meetings and very easy to use. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use Whereby.
How to take part in tests using Zoom
Many user tests are easily conducted via Zoom. Zoom is a free platform for video meetings and is very easy to use. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use Zoom.
How to take part in tests via Google Meet
Google Meet is a popular video tool that is free and easy to use. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use Google Meet.
How to take part in tests via Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is a simple online conferencing tool that is used in moderated user tests. It is very easy to use. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use Microsoft Teams.